Pittsburgh Mercy Health System
Parish Nurse & Health Ministry Program
Education & Resources
"Foundations of Faith Community Nursing"
Faith Community Nurse and Health Minister Preparation Course
The Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program, part of Pittsburgh Mercy Health System and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, is an approved provider of the International Parish Nurse Resource Center’s “Foundations of Faith Community Nursing,” course, a preparation course for faith community nurses and health ministers. This 34-hour, four-day course is designed for registered nurses, other health care professionals, and laypersons who are interested in promoting health, wellness, and spirituality; coordinating volunteers; or starting a visitation ministry in their faith communities.
The Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program will offer the course on the following dates:
- Fall Session: Part I: September 12-13, 2014; Part II: October 3-4, 2014 (times vary)
Sister M. Ferdinand Clark Auditorium, Level 2
1400 Locust Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219 (Uptown Pittsburgh)
Designed for individuals who are interested in faith community nursing and health ministry, the course covers the seven main roles of the faith community nurse (FCN):
- Health educator
- Health counselor
- Health advocate
- Developer of support groups
- Integrator of faith and health
- Coordinator of volunteers
- Resource and referral agent
Additional course modules include prayer; self care; healing and wholeness; ethics; documenting practices; legal aspects; communication and collaboration; family violence; suffering, grief, and loss; advocacy; care coordination; and more. Course modules are taught by certified faith community nurse educators and subject matter experts in the respective fields of practice.
Upon successful completion of the four-day course, nurses are commissioned as faith community nurses and receive a pin and 34 hours of continuing education credits. Note: In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must attend all four dates during the session for which they register. Laypersons receive a pin and are commissioned as health ministers.
The course is limited to the first 20 participants who register.
The cost is $395 per person and includes course materials, 34 continuing education credits for nurses, and free parking in the hospital parking garage. Limited scholarship funds are available.
Mail the completed course application and a check made payable to the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program to:
Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program
Mercy Health Center
1515 Locust Street, Suite 705
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Registration and payment are due two weeks prior to the start of each session.
For more information, contact the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program at ParishNurse@mercy.pmhs.org or call 412.232.5815.
Health Ministry Training
Health Ministry Training offered at your church. This training is for both laypersons and health professionals who want to serve their churches as health ministers.
The Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program staff will conduct the training at your church. Average cost is $150 for two workshops (six hours) and handouts for 10 participants. Contact us to design a workshop that will meet the needs of your congregation. Workshop topics include:
- Building a Health Ministry Team
- Promoting Health and Wellness in Your Church
- Coordinating Volunteers
- Visitation Ministry
Call for further information 412.232.5815.
Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program
Electronic Documentation System
We invite you to try the demonstration (demo) version of our newly upgraded, user-friendly charting system, designed especially for those interested in documenting parish nurse and health ministry activities.
This demo is fully functional, except that the user cannot add or change clients. Users can, however, add new contacts and/or interventions to the existing clients.
- The database provides users with a comprehensive array of options for data collection.
- Select only the options you wish to use or that pertain to your ministry; disregard the rest.
- The opening screen illustrates the scope of data that can be collected on clients and community outreach activities.
- Get started by clicking on the box 'Individual Clients.'
- Open the various pages of the chart: Demographics, Contacts, Interventions, Medications, Medical Conditions, and Allergies.
- Note: Clicking on any box with blue text will open up another form.
- Reports can be generated with ease to show the impact of your ministry. Simply click on the Reports button on the opening screen and then click on the report you want.
- Data for Blood Pressure Screenings and Small Group Activities can be efficiently entered via the buttons on the opening screen. To view sample data that has been entered for a blood pressure screening, type in the Date: 101012 (October 10, 2012), Site: SC (Senior Center), and Hours: 1.
Note how the parish nurse can document using a wholistic approach:
- Client problems can be documented under the following categories: Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Social, Financial, and Relational.
- Details of client problems are expressed in lay terms so clergy and church council members can readily understand.
- Rate client problems and client progress on a 1-5 scale, from Emergency to Problem Resolved.
- Client outcomes can easily be identified.
- Parish nurse interventions can be documented under the following categories: Assess, Advocate, Counsel, Educate, Refer, and Support.
- Spiritual care and client problem examples are built into the database. Simply select one or add your own.
To view the demo, your computer must have MS Access 2000 or later. To try the demo, click Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program Electronic Documentation System and "Save" the file to your computer.
To purchase the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program Electronic Documentation System, click here. Purchase includes a detailed user's manual, online training, and ongoing customer support. The cost is $400 each for health systems, $200 each for churches and/or faith community nurses. (Note: this is a one-time cost.) Ask about pricing for organizations with parish nurses at multiple sites.
For more information about the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program Electronic Documentation System, contact the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program at 412.232.5815 or email ParishNurse@mercy.pmhs.org.
The Faith Connection:
Education, News, and Resources for Faith Community Nurses
and Health Ministers
Adobe Reader is required to view PDF files. If this software is not already installed on your computer, you can obtain it for free from Adobe's website.